Date Issued: April 3, 2013
Position Title: GIS Analyst
Location: North Vancouver, BC
Start Date: June 2013
Deadline for submissions: April 19, 2013
Inlailawatash is a progressive and innovative environmental consulting firm established by the TsleilWaututh Nation (TWN). Inlailawatash provides a range of natural resource stewardship services, including: tree and vegetation management; ecosystem and habitat restoration; cultural heritage and archaeology; spatial analysis; mapping; and forestry.
The GIS and Database Management Program was established by the Tsleil-Waututh Nation (TWN) and has been in operation for close to fifteen years. During this time the program has supported many TWN and Inlailawatash initiatives and projects including traditional use studies, bioregional mapping, forest management planning and treaty related measures. The program requires the services of a dynamic and committed individual who is able to provide the technical and personal skills required to participate in this leading edge organization.
The GIS Analyst will join a dynamic team of resource professionals and provide high quality mapping, GIS services and technical support to Inlailawatash clients. The GIS Analyst will work in a manner that supports the timely research, construction, revision and use of digital cartographic resources for purposes including planning, natural resources management, and other related activities.
- Participates with Inlailawatash staff in the research, design, production and demonstration of spatial information products for bioregional plans, watershed plans, community development plans, traditional use mapping and natural resource inventory.
- Assists in the creation, maintenance and analysis of spatial and attribute databases.
- Acquires, translates, integrates and manipulates data from various sources and formats.
- Verifies and checks input data to ensure continuity, integrity and compliance with standards.
- Research, assemble and summarize data.
- Assists in the development and implementation of quality control procedures, visual output standards, and in-house procedures.
- Constructs maps for meetings, proposals, conferences and presentations.
- Manages Inlailawatash projects as directed.
- Drafts and edits reports as directed.
- Assists in other projects as required.
- Knowledge and understanding of GIS principles, cartography and mapping systems.
- Familiarity with and commitment to practice effective data management procedures and standards.
- Experience with the presentation of map products in a variety of mediums (reports, atlases, public outreach.
- Training and experience with GIS-related applications including ESRI ArcGIS.
- Experience with spatial analysis and modeling.
- Experience writing Python scripts what operate within the ArcGIS geoprocessing environment.
- Knowledge and experience with File Geodatabases.
- Familiarity with Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Familiarity with web-based GIS applications.
- Knowledge and skills involving remote sensing and satellite imagery manipulation.
- Current knowledge and understanding of latest GIS trends, applications and data technology.
- Knowledge and experience with provincial fish, aquatic, wildlife, or terrestrial ecosytems spatial datasets or datasets similar in size and scope.
- Understanding of First Nation’s history and perspective.
- Good organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently and to be able to adapt to changing priorities.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Willingness to learn and ability to take direction from more than one supervisor.
Education and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Geography, Natural Resource Management, Information Management Systems or a related field or concentration.
- Completion of at least one GIS course at a recognized post-secondary institution.
- Technical certificate in Geographic Information Systems is an asset.
- Two or more years related work experience.
Please submit a resume, cover letter with two employment references and samples of past
cartographic work to: Pano Skrivanos, Inlailawatash Project Manager, by email to
email@example.com. Interviews will be scheduled with qualified candidates as applications are received. Only candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.