Temporary Full-Time (9 months)
(Education Leave Replacement)
The Musqueam Indian Band (MIB) is a First Nations community located in the City of Vancouver, British Columbia, with a traditional territory encompassing Greater Vancouver. The MIB is very active in promoting and protecting the Aboriginal title and rights interests of the Musqueam. The MIB has built a Geographic Information System Unit under the Treaty, Lands and Resources Department to integrate information from a number of departments within the Band’s administration with a focus on treaty measures, community planning, and traditional use studies.
A dynamic and committed individual is required to provide the technical and personal skills needed to participate in the organization and to provide both high quality GIS services and technical support to the MIB Administration.
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Senior GIS Specialist in the GIS unit of the Treaty, Lands and Resources Department, the GIS Technician will participate in the design and production of digital map products for community development plans, traditional use mapping, natural resource inventory and infrastructure mapping while maintaining various map, tabular and database layers. The incumbent will create, maintain and document spatial and attribute data utilized in GIS applications, work in the field to collect GIS data, and work collaboratively to provide interdepartmental GIS services.
Qualifications & Education
- Bachelor’s degree in Geography or related discipline with an emphasis on GIS or an acceptable combination of education, training and/or experience.
- Work related experience and proficiency with GIS software, data and concepts.
- Knowledge of GIS, GPS and database theories and application.
- Experience with cartographic design and map production.
- Experience with the operation of GPS equipment is preferred.
- Knowledge of a variety of vendor specific GIS and GPS software programs (ESRI, Trimble software, Autodesk MapGuide).
- Ability to use GIS software to store and manipulate tabular data, generate maps, maintain metadata, and troubleshoot GIS hardware and software.
- Strong understanding of cartographic design and communication principles.
- Knowledgeable of effective data management procedures and standards.
- Knowledge of databases and database software: MS Access, SQL Server.
- Experience using large format scanners and plotters to scan and print maps and reference plans.
- Previous experience using Autodesk MapGuide is an asset.
- Knowledge and skills involving remote sensing and satellite imagery manipulation is an asset.
- Knowledge of graphic design software is beneficial (Adobe Photoshop or Adobe Illustrator).
- Experience working in a First Nations community is a very strong asset.
- An understanding of First Nations issues in BC is preferred, including resource access, social justice, and current First Nations legal issues.
- Ability to give continuing and meticulous attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal and team participating skills is essential.
- Organized, detail oriented and innovative problem solver.
Please apply by submitting a cover letter and resume to Musqueam Indian Band, Human Resources, 6735 Salish Drive, Vancouver, BC, V6N 4C4,
Fax: (604) 263-4212
The closing date for applications is
Friday, August 14, 2009 at 4:00 pm
* Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.